Restoration Supervisors will receive on-the-job training as they work on a variety of projects developed in collaboration with Audubon, Forest Preserve staff, Chicago Park District staff, and volunteer Stewards. The Supervisor will develop skills in a variety of practices related to the management of natural habitats, including:
• Team supervision in the management and restoration of prairies, savannas, wetlands, and woodlands of the Forest Preserves of Cook County and Chicago Park District.
• Execution of habitat management plans through restoration activity
• Applying creative thinking to solve challenges encountered in ecological restoration
• Develop leadership and team-building skills
• Brush and weed management by using a wide variety of tools including backpack herbicide sprayers and chainsaws.
• Restoration techniques, plant identification, seed gathering, seed planting and, when applicable, controlled burns
• Occasional interaction with members of the public visiting the Preserves
The internship is physically rigorous and offers interesting, educational, and challenging work outdoors to individuals who are energetic and motivated.